Main menu

FAQs About Official Allowances

Q.  Is it OK to accept private financing or in-kind contributions towards the operation of a House office?

A. No. House Rule 24 generally prohibits any private contribution, either cash or in-kind, towards the operation of a House office.  For complete information, see House Ethics Manual, pp. 326-330.

Q.  Can we use the Member's Representational Allowance for...?

A. The expenditure of MRA funds is governed primarily by the Members' Handbook, a publication of the Committee on House Administration, and staff with MRA questions should first consult that publication.  Additional questions should be directed to the staff of the Committee on House Administration.  For Majority offices, call (202) 225-2061.  For Minority offices, call (202) 225-8281.